Qalam Institute started as a humble effort to enrich peoples lives with Islamic education that was practical and relevant. Today, it has developed into an established institution and Seminary training Khateebs, Imams, Youth Directors, and community leaders. — managed by a team of dedicated people living in the Dallas, Texas area.
Qalam Institute holds a strong social media presence with tens of thousands of followers across its various platforms and also caters to a global audience. The Seerah Podcast, Qalam’s free resource to learn about the Life of the Prophet draws over 30,000 unique downloads each month.
For 5 years now Qalam has been conducting the ‘Khateeb Workshop’ training men young and old to deliver engaging, motivating, and relevant Khutbahs across North America and abroad. At the same time ‘The Sisters Public Speaking Workshop’ is our effort to equip women with the tools, confidence, and resources required to speak about Islam and its teachings. Our newest initiative is the ‘Qalam Seminary’, a full time program to train, teach, and mentor young men and women in the Classical Islamic Sciences while providing them the tools and experience necessary to be effective community leaders and activists.
As we continue to grow and consistently seek to meet the community’s needs, we are in need of some more helping hands. We are currently looking for volunteers in the following roles:
- Social Media Coordinator
- SEO Specialist
Before we get into details about those roles…
What’s in it for you?
- Flexibility: You have the freedom to work how you want, where you want. We focus on results.
- Personal and professional growth: As part of volunteering with Qalam Institute, you’ll be part of a dynamic ever-growing, ever-learning team. You’ll gain insights into how decisions are made and some of the major challenges that institutions face, and most importantly you’ll be part of the solution.
- Training: As much as you’re helping us, we want to help you! Our dream for each of our volunteers is that they come away from the experience with as much learning and skills as they can, to put to use for their future work and life. Therefore, we commit to offer you access to our programs that will improve and add to your knowledge and spirituality inshaAllah.
- Reward: Inspiring people and turning their lives around for the better and of course the reward in the next life for the hard work dedicated to Allah’s pleasure, InshaAllah.
We are also happy to provide you a reference upon successful completion of 6 months of working with us.
Which role do you fit?
We’re looking for a super-friendly, efficient volunteer who’d help us stay in touch with the community and partners and deal with their day-to-day queries. Your main responsibility is to ensure that the community is happy with Qalam Institute and to show that we care about them and that we go the extra mile for them.
You’ll be spending your time:
- Answering queries from students/partners/clients who contact us via e-mail, the website, social media and any other platform within 24-48 hours.
- Impress our students/partners with detailed, timely responses and excellent customer service skills.
- Flag e-mails that need a direct response from Instructors or other team members and follow up on responses.
- Proactively develop and execute pleasant experiences for the community via a dedicated budget setup for this purpose.
- Attend online Skype meetings with team members when required
You’ll be a great fit if you have/are:
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Extremely positive attitude
- Ability to tactfully and truthfully deal with complaints or disappointed students
- Able to think of crazy, creative, cool ideas to impress our students
- Computer-literate and fast with e-mails/social media
- Ability to respond to e-mail/queries within 24 hours
- Experience in customer support
- Shared vision for Qalam Institute
- Continuous learner
Social Media Coordinator
If you’re social media savvy and love sharing good stuff via Facebook and Twitter we want to hear from you! The Social Media Coordinator will be responsible for devising the social media strategy for amplifying Qalam content through various channels and sourcing relevant unique images to accompany posts on Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets. You will need to have previous experience in social media marketing and excellent knowledge of marketing content effectively. You must be a left-brainer, as you will be responsible for creative thinking and innovative ideas to engage and interact with Qalam followers. You must be available to post regular content daily on Qalam Twitter and Facebook channels, monitor interaction and respond to messages sent via these channels. You will also need to ensure the overall monthly social media calendar, as well as develop strategies to increase followers through social media platforms.
You will be a great fit if you:
- Are a social media guru
- Have knowledge of social media marketing
- Are gifted with excellent communication skills
- Have a creative flair and innovative thinking
- Can think outside the box
- Have outstanding organisational skills
- Are a great team player
- Love to help others be productive
- Have an eye for good content
Are you obsessed with search engines? If so you are at the right place. We are looking for an SEO Specialist who cares about providing search engines with what they need to rank our website appropriately.
You’ll be spending your time:
- Optimizing posts using SEO best practices
- Using WordPress SEO plugins
- Researching the best ways to SEO
- Making sure our posts/keywords are ranking higher
You’ll be a great fit if:
- You love SEO
- You can optimize 5-6 posts from scratch within a week
We’re looking for someone who is web savvy and knows how to use and operate web software like WordPress. The main responsibilities for this position would be to stay up to date on the web’s latest technologies and make sure the site and its products are always mobile-friendly and multi-platform ready. In addition to making sure everything is functioning properly on the website, a webmaster provides analysis of the website’s health and creates conversion paths so that the marketing team can monitor their efforts. Beyond the focus of day-to-day activities, the improvement of the website as a whole is a necessary consideration for webmasters. As the Internet evolves, the webmaster’s job is to stay current with software and hardware that can improve the success of an online business. For this position you’ll also be receiving training and mentorship from members of the Qalam staff who are veterans and experts in web design and development so its not only an opportunity to help people by doing meaningful work but you also gain valuable education and skills along the way.
You’ll be spending your time:
- Updating content on the website
- Dealing with technical difficulties and issues that arise
- Helping to create new sections and pages for current and future projects
- Learning new skills and tools to help better the user experience for visitors
You’ll be a great fit if:
You love using WordPress
Want to grow your web design and development skills
What to Expect
Sent in your application? Great! Our team will conduct a short-listing process after 15th June, 2014. If your application has been shortlisted, you will be contacted for an online interview within a few days. Although we would love to respond personally to each and every proactive individual who applies, the large volume of applications we receive usually prevents us from doing so. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
Is this a paid position?
No, the position is an unpaid, voluntary one. We’re looking to build a team of dedicated volunteers 🙂
How is the training conducted?
The training will be held online by the team heads.
Where are you located?
Qalam is a global organization with students all across the globe. much of our work is conducted online, hence you can be anywhere in the world to apply for the positions above.
I can’t seem to fit the role description above, but I still want to join the Qalam team. What do I do?
Keep an eye on our website. As we’re growing, Alhamdulillah, we often have openings on the team.
But I’d like to join Qalam NOW!
Send us an e-mail through the “Contact Us” page and tell us your skills and strengths. Better yet, send us your resume explaining exactly how you’ll help us
How to Apply
If you have the skills we’re looking for and are motivated to work with our dynamic team of volunteers, please fill out the form below.